Wednesday 24 September 2014

Regeneration

'We are all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you've got to keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be.' - Matt Smith's last monologue as the Doctor.

When I first heard this monologue, I used to just think it was nice but I always overlooked it, however lately I've been thinking about it quite a lot. The fact of the matter is, I've changed a lot over time, and I think it is a good thing. 
Some teenagers reading this are probably thinking 'Oh I'm not going to change at all really', and you know what? Some of you might not. Some of you might just go on the same path you want. But the majority of you will change. 
I know this, because I never believed it either.

Sometimes I think of certain scenarios in my head about things that obviously will not happen. For example: Terrorists invade my school and it's up to me to stop them. I used to take a rather violent approach to these things,as you know, it's cool to be able to do action and stuff. But as I grew older I decided to take a more peaceful approach to it.
This all probably means nothing to you but the point that I'm making is that I changed. My mind set changed.  

I even think I'm a better person that I used to be. My views on society have in fact changed. The way I behave now has changed. 
Society has come up with this thing that it's 'cool' to 'hate' people. I once fell under this little illusion, but then as I became more peaceful the whole concept of hate just bothered me. Why is it cool so hate people? Is it not better to love one another?
Today I was sat in the library reading volume one of The Walking Dead by myself all upset about an ending relationship, so stupid comments were really going to get to me. But then I heard a girl in the background say 'I hate feminists, like, why would you care about society and stuff it's all so stupid'. Man, this really got to me. I have become a fully fledged feminist and there's no going back... WELL GOOD! I don't want to go back! The Doctor can't go back to his old faces, why should I go back to my old mind set?

The message I'm trying to get across here is, you will most likely change and you have to embrace it, but don't be a hateful person, that's not the way to go. And make sure you remember who you used to be, because it's always useful to look back on yourself and learn from mistakes whilst at the same time cringing.      







No comments:

Post a Comment